Wynberg Boys' High School
• House-building. This is an annual project undertaken exclusively by Grade 8 learners and involves fund-raising in the first instance (by way of an Entrepreneur’s Day), to finance and then build a house for a family in a disadvantaged community. We have done this for nine consecutive years, firstly with Habitat for Humanity and this year with the Niall Mellon Township Trust.
• Sandwiches and soup are made regularly for the local Night Shelter.
• Boys also host a stall at the “One to One Fair” for the physically challenged at the Good Hope Centre every year.
• The Chaeli Foundation is one of our “adopted” charities.
• Boys marshal at the Two Oceans Marathon every year.
• The boys undertake quarterly Service Drives to collect Easter eggs, food, clothing, blankets, books and children’s toys for distribution to orphanages, old age homes, refugees and the homeless.
• They also work at “Tears” in Kommetjie and “Darg” in Hout Bay, caring for abused animals.
• From time to time groups of boys tackle projects such painting and refurbishing classrooms or crèches, holding a sports day for disadvantaged children, or hosting a concert for the elderly.
• Interact links with the Wynberg Rotaract and Rotary clubs, and is a thriving Society. Boys get involved in numerous activities, mainly at week-ends and during the holidays. Every year a large number of boys volunteer their services at the Uncle Paul’s Christmas parties at Groot Constantia, which are very popular with Capetonians. Rotaract are the organisers and all profits are for charity.