On Saturday September 19, Melville’s landmark designer lifestyle centre Bamboo will celebrate its 10th birthday. Jo’burg lifestyle-revellers are invited to help blow out the candles and join in the festivities suited to both adults and children.
The first of its kind in Johannesburg, Bamboo was launched in 1999 to the day by former Melville couple, Alison Green and Barry Gould. Today, Bamboo has moved into the millennium with poise and permanence still offering Jo’burg shoppers a tedium-free retail alternative that is thoughtful, wholesome, design-focussed and contemporary. Each of the eight interlinked shops uphold the lifestyle centre’s ethos of supplying South African products and services that are life-enhancing and indulgent to the senses.
The birthday festivities – which include a spectacular surprise cake – on Saturday 19 September at Bamboo, 53 Rustenburg Road, Melville, from 11h00 to 16h00 are as follows:
• Start the day at Service Station with a birthday special breakfast or pop in later for lunch. Quiche slices and other confectionery will on sale at the upstairs market.
• Peruse a while at Love Books. At 11h00 join Chris van Wyk, author of the children’s version of Nelson Mandela’s biography, The Long Walk to Freedom.
• Stock up at the Deli and Wine Market with the freshest homemade spring fare – olives, breads and Spanish salamis. Add a couple of King Proteas to your basket. For R30 taste wines from SA family-run cellars, Beaumont, Oak Valley, Paul Cluver, Ross Gower, Barry Gould Family Wines, Joostenberg, Stark-Condé and Joubert-Tradauw.
• Get creative and have fun at jewellery-making workshops at Tinsel.
• Be inspired to dine each day with the style of celebration – party-themed tables on view at The Blooming Plate.
• Learn the art of glassblowing at Smelt – mini workshops for the whole family on the hour. Make your own sand-mould cast paperweight for R95.
• Be intrigued by the Black Coffee 2010 Spring and Summer Collection, which recently took the stage at the Berlin Fashion Week, on “fashion walk-about” through Bamboo.
• Revive as Renue launches range of body oils for bath and massage relaxation.