I visited the CTICC on 8 October for the Veritas Wine Awards sponsored by Agri-Expo, and it was indeed a fancy and fun evening out. My friend Delise and I enjoyed an evening of great food, wines, awards, beautifully decorated tables and some equally smart-looking winemakers in their “black tie ” ensembles. I am far more familiar with the sight of winemakers in their “punchdown” attire, but I dare say they clean up real nice.
KWV was crowned as the king of Veritas 2011, receiving a remarkable five double gold and nine gold medals at the award ceremony – the most double gold and gold medals ever won by one cellar. Other top achievers include: Boplaas Family Vineyards, Nederburg Wines, Nuy Wine Cellar, Distell Brandy, Bon Courage, Spier, Flagstone and Kanonkop Wine Estate.
So if you live in Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban, Knysna and Port Elizabeth then you can taste top wines from the Veritas awards – without having to purchase the lot.
Cape Town, Joburg, Durban Tastings:
- Capetonians can taste the Veritas achievers at the VOC Room (Southern Sun Cape Sun, Strand Street) on 18 October from 5pm to 8pm with tickets at R130 pp.
- The Johannesburg tasting takes place on 26 October from 5pm to 8pm at the Bill Gallagher Room of the Sandton Convention Centre – tickets cost R140.
- Wine lovers in Durban will get their chance on 3 November from 5pm to 8pm at the Function Room, Deloitte Head Office in Umhlanga – tickets are R100 each.
- Tasters can also enjoy this year’s Qualité cheese champions during these sessions too.
Tickets for Cape Town, Johannesburg and Durban tastings are available at Computicket.
Port Elizabeth and Knysna Tastings:
- Squires Legendary Grill in the Boardwalk centre in Beach Road will host wine lovers on 15 November in Port Elizabeth for a sit-down tasting event of 16 wines including light refreshments, starting at 6pm (R100 pp).
- In Knysna, the Veritas victors can be tasted during a dinner hosted at Kilzers Kitchen on 16 November from 7pm – tickets cost R240.
- There will also be a sit-down tasting session with selected wines and snacks on 17 November from 6pm to 8pm at R85 per person at Kilzers.
Bookings for the Port Elizabeth and Knysna events must be made with the various venues and organisers directly – or see contact details below.