By Shaun Gillham
THE nomination of convicted fraudster Rajan Moodaley as president of the Eastern Province Cricket Board (EPCB) is threatening to throw the powerful administrative body and cricket in the region into disarray.
This comes amid the surprise announcement by current EPCB president Donovan May that he has withdrawn his nomination for re-election.
May’s decision comes in the same week as the announcement of the new members of the EPCB, which has yet to elect a nominee to the audit and risk portfolio and a president of the body.
In 2002 Moodaley was found guilty by the Port Elizabeth Commercial Crimes Court of five counts of fraud totaling R79950.
He was convicted for defrauding the EP Cricket Board, the SA Cricket Scorers’ Association and the SA Cricket Board.
Moodaley, who is president of the Nelson Mandela Bay Cricket Board (NMBCB) which falls under the EPCB, was sentenced to a R30000 fine or two years’ imprisonment, and a further two years’ imprisonment suspended for five years.
In a brief statement announcing his decision, May said: “I am extremely proud to have been a part of a team which brought success to EP Cricket and the Warriors franchise. However, after careful consideration and the new developments within EP Cricket, I have made a decision not to run fo00r presidential re-election.”
Adding to the furore around Moodaley’s nomination are accusations that some members of the new board are former members of a board put under administration by the then national cricket body, the United Cricket Board of South Africa, for maladministration in the early 2000s.
Moodaley confirmed to Weekend Post his nomination would be forwarded and that he would be contesting the presidency of the EPCB.
When questioned about his prior convictions, he said he “would not like to answer that”.
“The nomination has been forwarded to the Cricket SA nominations committee and it is up to them to decide on the suitability of the candidates,” he said.
When questioned about allegations that members of the former “old guard” which had been on the board at the time it was put under administration were now again represented on the new board, Moodaley admitted some, but not all of those members, were again involved.
“Everyone has the right to be nominated and it is up to the nominations committee to decide who is eligible to stand for election.
“The initial process to elect the president and the audit and risk portfolio was halted and now nominations can be submitted by October 6 (Thursday). The elections will take place on October 21,” said Moodaley.
NMBCB vice president Graeme Sauls said it was his understanding Moodaley “had been cleared” to be elected to the executive committee of NMBCB. EPCB chief executive Dave Emslie, who is in India with the Warriors team, could not be reached for comment, while Ray Mali, chief executive of Cricket SA’s nomination committee, did not respond to calls or messages prior to going to press.
(This article was originally published in the print edition of Weekend Post on Saturday, October 1, 2011.)