The Supervisor’s Creed
Organisations often promote employees into supervisory positions, without offering them supervisory training
and assume that they will know what to do in their new role. Often the
new supervisor is simply appointed by memo, congratulated, briefly told
about or given their job description and provided with the badges of
office and expected to get on with it, without any thought of proper supervisory training.
they are lucky they swim rather than sink, as they have managed to work
out that their role is to achieve their department or sections goal
through the efforts and application of their team. Some companies do
perhaps send supervisors on “5-Day Wonder” training programmes, where
they are force fed supervisory theory, but never get the time to absorb
nor the encouragement to apply it in their work environment.
Training Corporation has developed a simple Creed to assist new
supervisors to make the paradigm shift from “doing the work themselves
to “achieving planned goals through others”. This Creed is used as the
backbone of supervisory development programmes we run.
supervisory training programmes use the Creed to provide line
managers, supervisors and trainers with a guide to what the job of a
supervisor is about, as well as a simple set of ideas or tools to
assist new supervisors to come to grips with their role.
The Creed is designed as a reminder and an exploration of the supervisory role in organisations today.
* Utilizes Henri Fayol’s Classical model – planning, organizing, leading, and controlling as its skeleton,
* Emphasizes “getting results through teams”,
* Focuses on outcomes by using “so that”,
* Suggests the key actions needed for supervisory success,
* Provides the supervisors manager with a logical script or checklist to brief the new supervisor about their “job”,
* Incorporates the organisations Vision, Mission and Values,
* Includes motivation and performance management,
* Promotes discipline and fairness, and
* Encourages harmony, and the building of employee self esteem.
a copy of the Supervisors Creed, contact Leslie at The Training
Corporation and she will e-mail you a version along with details of our
exciting range of Supervisory Training Programmes