When Paarl Boys’ High School was founded in
1868 it offered education to boys from Standard 2 to Matric. Boys in the Junior
Primary classes had to begin their schooling at Girls’ High or La Rochelle. In
October 1940 the late Mr Gawie Pretorius became principal of BHS. One of his
ideals was to accommodate Junior Primary boys at Boys’ High - a dream which was
realized in 1942 and which favourably affected the growth of the school.
In the 1950’s the number of pupils exceeded
seven hundred and space became a problem. Therefore it was decided to try and
establish a separate primary school. A property in Devine Street had already
been purchased for this purpose in 1942, but a lack of provincial funds had
prevented any development from taking place. At last the go-ahead was obtained
and construction of the new Boys’ Primary school was started early in 1954. On
24 January 1955 the new school opened its doors for the first time and had three
hundred and seventy one pupils and twelve members of staff.
Today learners come from various cultural and
religious backgrounds. Every learner has the freedom to be true to his own
self. English is the home language of approximately 57% and Afrikaans of about
43% of the boys. Learners from other language groups who prefer to have their
schooling in English also form part of the Klein Boishaai family.