Modern Bathrooms with walkin rainforset showers

Modern Bathrooms with walkin rainforset showers from The Three Boutique Hotel

By: The Three Boutique Hotel  03-31-2011
Keywords: business accommodation, boutique hotel, Boutique Accommodation

HISTORIC BUILDING

This residence originally named “Schoonder Sigt” (“Clear View”) is deeply steeped in the history of .

In the 1770’s it was one of the ten most conspicuous large manors of . It was owned and occupied by the Commandant of the Castle, General Robert J. Gordon, who discovered and mapped a good part of . He discovered and also named our great river, the (after the Prince of Orange), (after Governor Von Plettenberg). Gordon’s Bay was named after him.

At Schoonder Sigt (which gave its name to ) he maintained a vast garden: a floral paradise which exported rare, hitherto unknown plant specimens, to and the east via visiting ship captains. Thus got its name.

General Gordon who commanded the Dutch forces in lived there until 1795 when he was defeated by the English Navy at the battle of Muizenberg.     

In 1800 the manor was purchased by George Rex, an Englishman who is believed to be the son of King George and his first wife Hannah Lightfoot whom he

When the Dutch forces re occupied he was generously granted land at Knysna, which town he founded.

Over the years the residence has seen many transformations from a manor house to a nursing home to apartments. In 1973 the residence was renovated to resemble a Spanish villa and renamed “Flower Street Villa”.

In 2010 the building, which is a national monument, was completely renovated and restored, carefully retaining the original fabric of the building whilst removing the “Spanish” styling and returning it to it’s former glory.

The Hotel has been under new management and owners since January 2009.

Keywords: Boutique Accommodation, Boutique guesthouse, boutique hotel, business accommodation

Contact The Three Boutique Hotel

Email

Print this page

Share