NUM - Services

By: National Union Of Mineworkers  11-11-2011
Keywords: Educational Institution



1. Who qualifies to apply for a bursary?

Educational assistance is available within the constraints imposed by the availability of funds to specifically the following:

A paid up member or a former member who has retired, become retrenched, disabled or deceased member's dependants.
The immediate family, i.e. spouse and dependant children of union official/member.
2. What education is provided for?

High school education, from grade 10 to grade 12, and tertiary through to degree/diploma level but not including post-graduate studies.
Upon completion of high school studies, students have to re-apply for a new bursary to study further.
3. To what extent is financial assistance provided?

Full-time, part-time and correspondence courses of study are recognised. The Board of Trustees retain the right, when selecting new students for any given year, to decline an application for those courses of study which do not fit the union's focus on educational needs.
The bursary provides for payment of the following fees:

Bridging course
Text books (quotation is required)
On-campus accommodation (residence only excluding meals)
It must be noted that under certain controlled circumstances, private accommodation off-campus will be paid for, direct to the Educational Institution. A letter from the Institution, in which they agree to accept payment for accommodation, must first be provided. No contracts will be entered into with the lessor of a private property.

NOTE: When declaring the first year cost for the course of studies on the application form, a student must ensure that these are accurate and sufficient. If not, the Trustees will limit the amount for payment to the Educational Institution to the lesser of the declared amount and the actual cost.

4. For how long is financial assistance provided?

Until the selected course of study is completed.
However, the Board of Trustees retain the right to withhold payments to institutions or to terminate the bursary due to the following reasons:

Fraudulent information provided to the Board of Trustees with regard to union membership, relationship to the union member or dependency on the union member/official.
The institution is found not to be nationally recognised or registered.
The student switches to another educational institution and/or the course of studies without seeking permission in writing from the Principal Officer or designated person of the fund.
Abandoning the course of studies within 6 months of enrolment will result in the termination of the bursary and the student will be liable for the repayment to the Fund of all bursary payments already made.
Should a student receive other financial aid / another bursary, the Trust Fund will request the student for a full reimbursement of amounts already paid and terminate the bursary.
Failing to pass at least 50% of the subjects for which a long distant learning student has enrolled for, or failing to pass all the subjects that qualifies a full-time student to proceed to the next level of studies.
Should your results deter you from progressing to the next academic level in the first semester or trimester (depending on the course of studies).
Examination results/progress reports will, with the exception of the year students, be called for at the end of the first semester of study. No further payments will be made until the results are made available to the administrator.

Should the student qualify for continued support, payments for the remainder of the year's studies will continue. The same condition applies at year-end.

5. Is a bursary transferable?

Should a successful applicant not use the bursary in the year that it was granted, it will not be transferred to another person nor be postponed to another year. The bursary will be withdrawn and the applicant can re-apply at a future date.

6. Is the bursary repayable?

Upon completion of studies, the student is not expected to pay back funds that were provided for his/her studies.

7. Other Matters to Consider

The Fund does not pay for two or more Educational Institutions for the same student.
The fund pays only for one dependant per family of an official.
Upon resignation of a Union member, the Trust Fund will immediately terminate the financial assistance to the member or dependant. However, in the event of a member wishing to resign from employment in order to pursue studies on a full-time basis, it is preferable to negotiate terms and conditions with the employer to be released on paid study leave than to forfeit the bursary.
Upon dismissal of a Union member, the Trust fund will meet its obligation to the student until the selected course of study is completed.
All the necessary documents must be attached when submitting the application form, including the Union official/member's payslip for verification, certified copy of the student's latest results, acceptance letter or letter showing that the student has applied from the institution, ID copies of both member/official and student.
All accepted students should complete a verification form and send it back to the Administrator.
Students should also take the responsibility of ensuring that the Institution they are applying to study at is nationally registered and accredited.
Only first-time applicants need to complete an application form. It is not necessary, after having been granted a bursary, to re-apply for the same bursary each year until the course is completed.
Once a bursary has been granted, it must be understood that the Board of Trustees has in fact only given approval for the use of the Educational Institution, the course of studies and the costs as specified in the application form and these only.
On receiving approval to use the bursary, the student may for example, enrol for a "bridging" type of course in order to complete matric (or any other course of study which is necessary to reach a level of competency) and then take up the studies originally approved by the Board.

The students should be aware that the fund will not pay for supplementary exam costs.
7. Conclusion

The fruits of collective thinking have characterised our union in its desire to give "only the best for the Mining, Energy and Construction workers and their dependants".

This investment in human development is more than just a commitment on our part. It is a contract!

J.B. Marks Education Trust Fund
P.O. Box 64154

Contact numbers:
Telephone: (011) 491 - 6374
Telefax: (011) 834 - 3107


Keywords: Educational Institution

Contact National Union Of Mineworkers


Print this page