Although the official World Cup is 11 June - 11 July 2010, the period between March and July 2010 will be an exceptionally busy period with the pre- and post- arrangements that will have a huge impact on business travel. The year 2010 is going to be an exceptional year for South Africa, showcasing what this amazing country has to offer.
The World Cup is approximately 17 times larger than the 1995 Rugby World Cup. The media contingent that will attend is estimated at 30 000 people. It is forecasted that normal business travel is going to be disrupted due to the large influx of supporters into the country.
All indications are that approximately 220 000 long haul visitors will attend, 180 000 visitors from Africa and an average of 150 000 local supporters. On any match day it is envisaged that 100 000 travelers will need to use a travel commodity i.e. flight or road / rail transportation.
An additional 2 000 busses have been imported (overload on road transport) to carry these supporters. It is predicted that supporters will watch their team play every 3 or 4 days. When their teams are not playing, supporters will frequent the Fan Parks or embark on tours within the city of their choice.
- Do not travel during these periods unless it is critical to travel.
- Plan your trip well in advance; changes to a ticket over this period will be extremely difficult and very expensive.
- Try to make appointments at a location that is in the opposite direction of a stadium / fan park.
- Take flights during the times of when the games are being played. Games start at 13h30.
- Allow for a minimum of 2 hours to get to the airport in Cape Town and possibly 3 hours for Johannesburg. The congestion on the roads both to and from the Airports is going to be chaotic – plan for delays.
- Parking at the airport will be virtually impossible and it is advisable to get someone to drop / collect you from the airports. Transfer companies will be busy with tourists and will also be very expensive.
Apartments SA has a variety of unique Apartments, Villa’s and Hotels on offer. We would like to provide the ultimate accommodation solution for your stay in South Africa. For World Cup specials and rates please