VCAS™ for DVB enables pay-TV operators to combine standards-based Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB) technology for broadcast distribution with the interactivity of IP-based networks using a single robust security solution. It is a modular solution supporting multiple network topologies from a single head-end: cable, satellite and terrestrial broadcast networks without a return channel, hybrid networks with IP return channel supporting higher value subscribers with interactive capabilities and video-on-demand (VOD), as well as combinations of broadcast and hybrid networks.
VCAS for DVB is an integral part of the Verimatrix 3-Dimensional Content Security strategy, which addresses three key success factors for pay-TV operators: Multi-network content delivery, device diversity and threat detection and elimination.
VCAS for DVB comprises head-end and set-top box (STB) components, with the latter offering a choice between a software-based STB client and removable hardware-based security (smart/SIM card, USB dongle). Key features and benefits:
- Support for advanced pay-TV business models, including impulse pay-per-view (IPPV) tokens, provides each operator with virtually unlimited flexibility in product and service definitions.
- Software-based broadcast network security with rich pay-TV functionality lowers the total cost of ownership.
- Choice of SW- and HW-based client security in same network and STB allows the operator to match revenue potential with suitable STBs.
- Upgrade to premium content and higher value services without a truck roll.
- Mobile phone and web-based self-provisioning, including pre-paid vouchers, lowers or eliminates cost of call centers and back-end systems.
- Middleware-independent DVB SI Server for STB electronic program guide.
- On-screen messages, fingerprinting, client STB pairing, parental control.
- Smallest form factor: 500K subs in 2RU (3.5) and 1M subs in just 3RU (5.25).
In contrast to the legacy approach, Verimatrix offers multi-level client security that can be mixed in the same broadcast network to match the type of services offered:
- Software clients for low ARPU, one-way broadcast segments.
- Secure system-on-chip (SOC) clients for hardware based security without smart card logistics.
- Smart card-based security for operators with such technology preference.
VCAS for DVB - Broadcast Network
Verimatrix offers a more cost-effective approach that is ideal for:
- Greenfield deployments.
- Pay-TV operators transitioning from analog to digital video broadcasting.
- Operators wishing to complement or replace existing DVB CAS.
- Operators planning advanced DVB-IP hybrid and/or IPTV services.
This solution supports a base of lower ARPU subscribers in one-way networks while providing a clear upgrade path to capture higher ARPU subscribers. For hybrid networks with IP return channel, Verimatrix offers its proven software-based client that is already resident in millions of receivers around the world.
VCAS for DVB is the answer for operators seeking not only a lower total cost of ownership, but that also wish to position themselves favorably in a competitive environment that is moving inexorably towards two-way connectivity and interactivity. One-way broadcast systems can be complemented by two-way, IP-based communications, enabling interactive services and VOD, all from a single head-end. The end result is the most optimal pay-TV solution that is ready to tackle any challenges, now and into the future.