The Soshanguve Manufacturing Technology Demonstration Centre, or SMTDC, seeks to develop entrepreneurs and manufacturing businesses in the Soshanguve and surrounding area.
Our business model is illustrated below:
Each year the Centre recruits potential entrepreneurs with a screening and selection process. After screening and selection entrepreneurs are inducted into the Centre’s training programme where they learn how to operate and maintain several different manufacturing machines and are trained on writing business plans and basic business management and entrepreneurial skills.
Some of the goods the Centre’s entrepreneurs’ manufacture includes:
After the training programme, entrepreneurs are exposed to institutions and organisations that could potentially offer them the necessary capital to start their businesses based on the business plan that they prepared throughout the training programme.
Once a business has been funded, the Centre provides assistance to the entrepreneur during business start-up and post start-up by:
- Providing advice on regulatory compliance;
- Facilitating access to professionals;
- Providing advice on marketing and advertising as well as facilitating access to service providers;
- Providing mentoring, coaching, incubation (satellite) and guidance services;
- Certain shared infrastructural services;
- Networking and training workshops;
- Focus groups;
- And any case-specific assistance that may be necessary where possible.
The SMTDC strives to decrease failure rates in business start-ups by providing access to these services and increasing the awareness of entrepreneurial opportunities in South Africa.