All Sabie Pole products carry the SABS mark of approval. The following are applicable:
- SABS 457 (treatment and grading of external ground contact round poles)
- SABS1288 (treatment and grading of internal construction above ground poles/wood)
- SABS 0255 (environmental, health and safety assurance in production)
Our quality measurement system compares with International accepted (ISO 9002) standards.
Treatment is done in different hazard classes:
- H2 - Interior use (Beams, Roof trusses, etc.)
- H3 - Exterior above ground (Laths, Droppers, Fencing Rails, etc.)
- H4 - Exterior ground contact (Fencing, Building, Agriculture, etc.)
- H5 - Fresh water contact (Irrigation, Jetties, etc.)
- H6 - Marine water contact (Jetties, Walkways, etc.)
The Liquivac process is used to ensure that the CCA chemical penetrate all of the poles sapwood during treatment. The Weatherwood® chemical being added to the process enhance the weathering ability of the poles and thus extends the life span of our poles.
Benefits of CCA WEATHERWOOD® Timber
- Non-leaching i.e. the preservative is permanently fixed into the timber.
- Water repellency
- Greater dimensional stability
- Resistance to weathering i.e. less cracking and checking
These relative new types of treatment are local innovations that reduce the fire risk associated with thatch roofs. Some insurance companies even offer a discount if the poles and thatch grass is treated with these chemicals. Thorough tests have been done by the SABS and CSIR. These institutions also ensure that strict quality procedures is followed by the approved treatment plants.
Flambor treatment of poles prevent biological attacks and reduce the risk of fire. These poles can only be used for non-ground contact purposes.
Thatchbor is for the treatment of thatch grass and reed. Due to the Liquivac process being used during treatment, the chemical gets impregnated into the grass stem. This ensures total and permanent protection.
- Reduced fire risk associated with thatch roofs.
- Colourless, non-oily and no odour.
- Strict quality control by reputable institutions.
- Total thatch roof protection. No unprotected areas that will decay after a few years.
- Thatchbor reduces allergens in thatch which is the cause of many allergies in children.
- Environmentally safe