Breaking News | New Killarney-Riviera Association - whats happening now

By: New Killarney Riviera Association  11-11-2011

MINUTES FOR THE ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING OF THE

NEW KILLARNEY-RIVIERA ASSOCIATION

HELD AT THE MALL MANAGEMENT OFFICES (1ST FLOOR OFFICE TOWER)

ON THURSDAY 19 MAY 2011 AT 18H00

PRESENT:  Wayne Ford (Chairman); Captain Moonsamy (SAPS); Trish Terry; Charles Whyte; Jo Marais; Henry Rudsinski; Barry Milner; Kayte Denham; Celeste Mulholland; Jacques Stoltz; Steve Mendelsohn; Andy Grobler; Marion Brower; Yogan Naidoo.

1.    WELCOME

The chair welcomed everyone to the meeting.

2.    APOLOGIES

Councillor Marcelle Ravid; Herbert Prins; Liora Brett; JP Hansen; Helene Bell; Frank Kobrin; Audrey Kobrin.

3.    APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING

The Minutes of the previous meeting were taken as read, and were approved.

4.    SECURITY FEEDBACK / SECTOR CRIME FORUM

  • The chairman presented the Security Crime Forum Report. He re-emphasised that theft of vehicles and theft out of vehicles remains our most serious crime issue, and that the motorway is becoming a serious vulnerability. Those buildings that border on the motorway need to ensure that their perimeter security is good enough to keep out burglars. Good lighting, and the trimming of trees large enough to be used as ladders, are a good start.
  • The meeting agreed that all four proposed projects should be undertaken (see project section below), and authorized the incoming committee to do the necessary research.
  • Captain Moonsamy was introduced to members who had not already met him.
  • Captain Moonsamy did not have the detailed crime stats since the last meeting, but he concurred with the Security Crime Forum Report as presented.
  • Captain Moonsamy reported on the recent shooting incidents in Killarney. One involved warning shots being fired by undercover officers at a car thief in 1st Street, who subsequently escaped. The second involved an attempted burglary at the offices of Nedbank in Newtown Road, which concluded in a midnight mass car-chase through the streets of Killarney. Two of the burglars were arrested, but a third escaped. The police know his name and last address, and are following up.
  • Captain Moonsamy also reported on a burglary at Gleneagles recently. Nobody was home, and no arrests have yet been made.
  • Captain Moonsamy reported that a man had been arrested in a neighbouring suburb, in possession of a jammer which is used to open cars with central-locking systems. Members are again requested to check that their cars really are locked, before walking away.
  • Captain Moonsamy again requested residents to volunteer to serve as Police Reservists, in the Killarney area. Please contact Captain Moonsamy on 071 675 6000 if you are interested.

5.    ELECTION OF COMMUNITY POLICING FORUM REPRESENTATIVE

  • Wayne Ford was unanimously re-elected as the CPF representative for Killarney-Riviera.

6.    PRESENTATION OF THE CHAIRMAN’S REPORT

  • The chairman presented the Chairman’s Report, outlining the various projects undertaken in the past two years. These included primarily:
    • installing additional fencing on all eight corners of the two bridges over the M1 motorway (4th Avenue and Anerley Road) to prevent vagrants from hopping off the bridge onto the embankment;
    • building a new raised crossing across Killarney Road outside the Pick ‘n Pay entrance;
    • building a large traffic island to be added to the Circle at the intersection of 7th Street and 4th Avenue, to deter taxis from short-cutting the circle down the on-coming lane;
    • repainting the street-names on every intersection in Killarney and Riviera;
    • running a publicity campaign to inform residents of the contact numbers of our local SAPS patrol vans.
  • It was agreed that the NKRA had done valuable work in the two years under review, and that we must not allow that momentum to fade.
  • JM gave feedback on the site meeting which was held with WF, JM and a JRA traffic engineer, to ask for a 4-Way Stop at the corner of 3rd Street and 4th Avenue. The traffic study has been done, and permission for a 4-Way Stop has been refused, on the grounds that there is insufficient traffic volume in 3rd Street to justify stopping the 4th Avenue traffic stream. JM will correspond further with the JRA, to explain that the request is motivated by the safety concern around the blind intersection, rather than mere inconvenience.
  • The dangerous road up the hill in 10th Street is being addressed. The Community Workers Program helped to remove weeds and bank the slope to slow soil erosion, but more is required. City Parks will be asked to prune or remove the wattle trees that are now leaning right over onto the buildings opposite.
  • The Council Health department has issued Martindale Mews with an order to clean up their festering swimming pool, or face action. We should therefore see some action in the next week or two.

7.    PRESENTATION OF THE FINANCIAL REPORT

  • The chairman presented the Audited Financial Statements, for the last two years.
  • He explained that the auditor has audited all the financial years since 2005, because the former treasurer had not been able to find the audited reports for those years.
  • The treasurer explained the audit process.
  • The treasurer was authorized to pay the audit fee of R9,000 as soon as the invoice is received.
  • It was noted that we have accumulated enough money to finance additional speed-humps and traffic-circles, as well as to undertake the other projects that are proposed.

8.    ELECTION OF OFFICE BEARERS

  • The following members were unanimously elected as the officer bearers of the committee until the next AGM:
    • Chairman – Wayne Ford
    • Vice-Chair – Charles Whyte
    • Treasurer – Steve Mendelsohn
    • Secretary – Kayte Denham
    • PRO and Environment – Jo Marais

9.    NEW PROJECTS

  • A number of projects were discussed, as per the Chairman’s Report. It was agreed unanimously that the following projects should be researched and implemented urgently:

a. Lighting – we will draw up a register of dark areas, and we will approach the adjacent buildings to host extra spotlights. Kayte will undertake a survey, together with Captain Moonsamy.

b. Tree-trimming – the NKRA will continue to encourage specific buildings to trim back trees which are creating shadowed areas favoured by car thieves and loiterers. Jo will also lobby the motorway department to thin out the foliage on the motorway embankments.

c. The Upper Houghton residents’ association will be approached re extending the traffic island at the intersection of Houghton Drive and Newtown Road, outside The Wilds. This is to reduce congestion and improve road safety, as well as reduce the risk of smash-&-grab crimes against cars stuck in the congestion. Wayne will make contact with the Houghton committee to initiate a discussion.

d. Councillor Ravid will be requested to continue to pressure JMPD to install cameras at The Wilds intersection, to fine vehicles that go through after the lights turn red. This should also help reduce congestion.

e. We will continue to identify projects that can make use of the Community Workers Program.

f.  More traffic circles and speed-humps – we will continue to pursue a 4-Way Stop at the intersection of 3rd Street and 4th Avenue, which is a blind corner and a serious safety hazard. We will also pursue additional speed-humps in 4th Avenue, in Main Road and in 1st Street to slow speeding taxis.

g. Potholes – we will investigate undertaking a serious touch-up of existing pothole repairs that are coming undone, and addressing some other potholes (including on certain pavements) which JRA is in no hurry to address for us.

h. Bins and cleaning – the NKRA will invest in twenty or so wheelie-bins, and request buildings to volunteer to host these bins and make them available to NKRA sweepers. This would include putting them out on Tuesdays for the much-more-reliable PikiTup Wheelie-bin Service to empty them and remove the rubbish.

  1. Tree-planting – City Parks are happy to plant extra pavement trees for us. A list has been started of where to put these new trees. Thusfar the idea is as follows: one in the park to replace the deceased plane tree at the west end, one in 3rd Street outside Bretton Woods, one in 2nd Avenue corner 2nd Street outside Dukes Court, two in 2nd Street outside Dukes Court, and one in Riviera Road outside Mentone Court. Wayne will liaise with City Parks on this project.
  2. Taxi rank – we will continue working with JRA and our councillor to find a sustainable solution to this long-running problem.

9.    GENERAL

  • Councillor Ravid is to be congratulated on her re-election as Ward Councillor for Ward 73. The new councillor for Ward 67 is not yet known, but it will not be Councillor Mohlala, who has been moved by her party.

The meeting was closed, with thanks to all who attended, and thanks to the Killarney Mall for the use of their boardroom.

Our next meeting will be held on

WEDNESDAY 15 JUNE 2011 AT 18H00

PLEASE PASS ON THESE MINUTES TO OTHER RESIDENTS IN YOUR BUILDINGS


Contact New Killarney Riviera Association

Email

Print this page

Share

Other products and services from New Killarney Riviera Association

11-11-2011

Newsletters | New Killarney-Riviera Association

A partial answer is to recycle the large percentage of refuse which can be recycled, and thereby reduce the amount of non-bio-degradable waste which needs to go into the landfills. They are attracted to our suburb because they can scavenge recyclable refuse out of our many dust-bins, which they then sell for a few rands to recycling contractors.


11-11-2011

Minutes of Latest Monthly Meeting

Captain Moonsamy reported that a crime-awareness campaign will be staged by the police around The Wilds, in conjunction with the Upper Houghton residents as well.Extra street-lights would be most valuable in this smash-&-grab hotspot – Clr Ravid please to assist.


11-11-2011

Newsletters | New Killarney-Riviera Association - newsletters

The NKRA has decided to again hold a competition to encourage buildings to clean up and beautify their pavements, because this contributes significantly to the overall appearance of the suburb and to the quality of life of all its residents.


11-11-2011

Breaking News | New Killarney-Riviera Association

They are attracted to our suburb because they make a living by scavenging recyclable refuse out of our dust-bins, which they then sell for a few rands to recycling contractors. We have a resident population of vagrants at the corner of 4th Avenue and 7th Street, who vandalise public property as well as create safety and hygiene concerns.


11-11-2011

Minutes of Latest Monthly Meeting - monthly committee meetings

This device blocks the signal when car owners lock their car doors remotely, so all residents are reminded to check that their cars are properly locked before walking away. All residents must please call the police van immediately if you see anybody loitering around a fence in a “suspicious” manner – 071 675 6001. It was agreed that the street-sweeping service is making a huge difference in Killarney Road and around the taxi area.