A VIP (Ventilation Improved Pit) toilet is a more sophisticated form of sanitation than the ordinary pit latrine. It is both hygienic and inexpensive when properly designed, used and maintained.
Similar to the ordinary pit latrine, faeces and urine enters into a pit where a process of natural breakdown or digestion by bacteria occurs.
An external ventilation pipe draws air through the toilet when the wind blows to keep it free of odours. Since odours are generally absent, flies and other insects are not attracted to the pit.
Usually the VIP is built over an open pit, dug in the ground, but in areas with unstable soil conditions a 250mm or 500mm collar is used to prevent the soil from collapsing and surface water from entering the pit.
What Makes the Easy Loo VIP Different to Other VIP Toilets?
- Very quick and easy to build (takes less than 10 minutes to build)
- Only local labour (including women) is used for construction
- No expensive tools or cranes needed for construction
- Ideal for remote rural areas where accessibility is a problem
- Ideal for areas with limited or no running water
- Ideal for urban and peri-urban areas with large numbers of people
- The only system with production capacity of in excess of 200 per day
- Toilet can be moved when the pit is full
- Conforms to SANS 10365-1: 2003 specifications