Cosmetic dentistry in Knysna Garden Route South Africa
Dentistry, Teeth, Tooth Whitening
| ||A specialized field of dentistry that focuses on purely aesthetic treatments designed to improve the appearance, health and function of the teeth.We offer:
- Tooth Whitening
Tooth whitening is a common procedure in general dentistry but most especially in the field of cosmetic dentistry. A special whitening gel is applied by the patient in a custom made, close fitting whitening tray (similar to a small gum guard). Several daily applications may be necessary and the procedure can be repeated whenever the tooth shade is slightly darker.
Many factors, including dietary habits (drinking coffee, tea, soda, and red wine) and certain medications, affect the whiteness of your smile. Tooth whitening is an affordable and effective way to combat common causes of tooth discoloration, while boosting your self-confidence and improving your appearance. A child's deciduous teeth are generally whiter than the adult teeth that follow.
As a person ages the adult teeth often become darker due to changes in the mineral structure of the tooth, as the enamel becomes less porous. Teeth can also become stained by bacterial pigments, foodstuffs and tobacco. Certain antibiotic medications (like tetracycline) can also lead to teeth stains or a reduction in the brilliance of the enamel.
- Amalgam free dentistry
Due to the toxic nature of Mercury contained in Silver Amalgam fillings we only place composite or ceramic (white) fillings.This is done for all new cavities that needs to be restored as well as replacing old and worn Amalgam fillings. Apart from getting rid of a potential toxic substance in your mouth it also results in a much more aesthetic and natural looking dentition where the fillings are almost invisible to the casual observer.
- Porcelain Veneers and Crowns
- Porcelain Veneers are wafer thin (.5mm) ceramic laminates that are made to cover the front surfaces of your teeth. A veneer is a cosmetic solution for permanently stained, chipped, discoloured and misaligned teeth. It is sometimes necessary to grind a little of the tooth surface away to create space for the veneer depending on the position of your tooth. It is then bonded to the facing surface of the tooth and gives the tooth a highly natural look. It is also possible to change the position and appearance of your teeth without the need for braces in certain circumstances. It is a two step procedure involving the dental technician.
Veneers can also be made directly on the tooth surface by using composite dental filling material although it is not as strong and as esthetically pleasing as the porcelain veneers.
- Porcelain Crowns are ceramic shells or "caps" that cover a badly broken down overfilled tooth completely in order to restore it to function and restore the esthetics of the tooth. Dental ceramic is a very popular choice because of its biocompatible nature and comparable rate of wear to the natural dentition.
It also protects the remainder of the tooth from breaking down any further. It is often possible to make a full ceramic crown in a single sitting using our state-of-the-art CEREC® CAD/CAM technique. No more impressions and waiting a week with temporary crowns.
CAD/CAM techniquesOne of the most exciting new technologies available in dentistry is the application of CAD/CAM techniques to the restoration of individual teeth. This technology can be used to produce beautiful crowns, inlays, veneers and onlays.
CEREC-3D is a chairside computer device that allows the dentist to fabricate long-lasting, aesthetic restorations to replace damaged tooth structure while you are in the surgery. The CEREC method helps to avoid temporary restorations, impressions, a second episode of numbing and the typical two week wait for fitting of the final restoration. CEREC allows the restoration to be made and inserted in a single appointment of usually 90 minutes to 2 hours.
How does the instrument work? CEREC 3D uses CAD/CAM (Computer Aided Design/Computer Aided Manufacturing) technology, incorporating a camera, computer and milling machine in one instrument. The dentist uses a special camera to take an accurate picture of the damaged tooth. This optical impression is transferred and displayed on a colour computer screen, where the dentist uses CAD technology to design the restoration. Then CAM takes over and automatically creates the restoration while the patient waits. Finally, the dentist bonds the new restoration to the surface of the old tooth. The whole process takes about one hour.
What does this innovation mean for a patient? A tooth-coloured restoration means no more silver fillings discolouring smiles. The filling is natural-looking, compatible with tissue in the mouth, anti-abrasive and plaque resistant. Dentists no longer need to create temporaries or take impressions and send them to a lab. Because of this, the traditional second visit has been eliminated
What Kinds of Procedures Can It Perform?
What Are the Advantages CEREC 3D Offers?
- Partial and full crowns
- All other single-tooth restorations
- The dentist performs the restoration in a single session, usually in less than one hour
- No need for the dentist to make an impression and send it to a lab
- No return visits for the patient
- The restoration is natural looking, as it is made out of tooth-coloured ceramic material
- Ceramic material is biocompatible, high-grade, anti-abrasive and plaque-resistant
- Metal-free -- no silver-coloured fillings
- Allows dentist to save more of the healthy tooth
- Extremely precise
- Smile makeovers and Oral rehabilitation
Any combination of cosmetic dental procedures is utilized to produce a complete smile makeover or oral rehabilitation. If you are unhappy with the size, shape and shade of your teeth or you want them realigned or gaps closed, tooth whitening, veneers, crowns and/or bridges can be used after careful preoperative planning. Full mouth rehabilitation may include any or all of the above as well as Implants and bridges.
, General Dentistry
, Porcelain Crowns
, Porcelain Veneers
, Tooth Whitening
, whitening gel