Metallurgical failures could cost the industry billions
We have extensive experience in the conducting of the following type of Failure Investigations and Services:
- Boiler and pressure vessels – general and overheating failures
- Shaft, gear and sprocket failures
- Welding and heat treatment failures
- Sugar, paper and petrochemical industry equipment failures
- Elevated temperature failures
- Corrosion failures
- Remnant life assessment of steam turbines and components
- Replica taking, microscopic interpretation and the associated “Metallurgical Condition Assessment” of creep exposed and cracked materials on boilers and pressure vesselsWe employ the In-Situ Replica Metallography Technique – this is an onsite, non-destructive technique employed for observing and documenting the micro structural integrity of many engineering metal parts, castings, forgings, equipment, components and welds
- Portable hardness testing by means of a Time Digital Hardness Tester
- Qualitative Portable Spectroscopic Analysis of Materials (PMI). This is conducted at the client’s premises/site or in our laboratory
- Metallurgical failure investigations of components and equipment
- Metallurgical investigations of cracked or failed boilers and pressure vessels
- Consulting on matters relating to corrosion failures
- Material advisory service
- Assisting with the metallurgical aspects relating to welding procedures and weld repairing of components
- Metallurgical investigations to justify insurance claims
- General metallurgical consulting assignments
- Chemical Analysis of samples and representative shavings
- Manufacturing approvals for a variety of companies and products
Boilers and Pressure Vessels
- We conduct “Metallurgical Condition Assessments” of damaged or overheated shell boilers to determine the type and scope of the corrective action, i.e. repairing, etc
- We perform “Major and Mini” remnant life - metallurgical condition assessments of boilers, steam lines and pressure vessels that operate in the CREEP temperature range
- Replicas - We offer the most competitive prices for the taking and the microscopic interpretation of replicas. Our background of 25 years of service in the Boiler and
Pressure Vessel Industry is testimony to our success with this technique.
Boiler Maintenance Technology Course
Metfocus’s chief metallurgist was the custodian of the Boiler Maintenance Technology Course at his previous employer and now lectures the metallurgical modules, which are associated with this course. The course is run twice or three times a year – depending on demand.
“HANDS-ON” PRACTICAL METALLURGISTS
At Metfocus we are not just theoretical, we believe in active participation
We are an independent organization and are not affiliated to any other company or organization.
We have work-mans compensation, medicals, public liability and professional indemnity cover.
Our services are not restricted to boundaries. We are able to conduct quality audits and surveillance of remote located suppliers or vendors. Components or products ordered from a supplier or vendor can be inspected and released at the fabricator, prior to dispatch. This not only reduces travelling costs, but also assists to minimize the risk of receiving non-conforming components or products.
Samples for metallurgical investigations or for testing purposes can be couriered or delivered to our laboratory.
Our metallurgical reports are issued electronically, together with the appropriate digital photographs and microphotographs, i.e. e-reports.
Should you be interested in our services, we will gladly provide you with a written quotation or a budget price, prior to conducting or undertaking any of the above-mentioned metallurgical services or assignments.