General purpose undercoat
Surface Preparation, Undercoat, Plaster Primer
General Purpose Undercoat
General Purpose Undercoat is a traditional, alkyd-based, general-purpose undercoat, especially formulated to give the best long-term performance for the total system.
It is used to provide a very strong and stable base for over-coating with a wide range of water- and solvent-based products.
- A quick drying and very smooth undercoat - ideal as an undercoat for the harsh conditions found in South Africa
- Excellent adhesion and hiding-power
- Excellent no-mess application properties
- Can be top coated with a wide range of water- and solvent-based products
- Plaster, hardboard and fibre-cement walls
- Primed metal and wooden substrates
- Rusted Steel: affected areas need to be cleaned back to bright metal and spot primed with Steel Primer.
- New / galvanised steel: surfaces need to be abrasively degreased to remove the manufacturer’s grease protective layer; repeat this process until the surface is water-break free; after drying, the whole substrate is coated with Steel Primer or, for galvanised steel, use Galvanised Iron Primer.
- Uncoated dry concrete surfaces: remove all dust, foreign material and fungal or algal growth; fill and seal all visible cracks and where repaired, seal with Bonding Liquid and then prime with Plaster Primer.
- Uncoated weathered or new fibre-cement surfaces: remove all dust, foreign material and fungal or algal growth and if friable, powdery seal with Bonding Liquid; then prime with Plaster Primer.
- Raw plaster: remove all dust, foreign material and fungal or algal growth; fill and seal all visible cracks and prime with Plaster Primer.
- Previously painted surfaces: remove all loose, flaking or bubbling paint as well as all dust, foreign material and fungal or algal growth. Allow to dry (if powdery or friable, seal with Bonding Liquid) and prime with Plaster Primer.
- Using a brush or roller apply a generous coat of GP Undercoat to the area that needs protecting.
- Allow to dry overnight before recoating.
- Do not apply before 9 am or after 4 pm in winter.
- Do not apply to exterior if rain is likely within 4-6 hours of application.
- GP Undercoat is ready for use un-thinned: thinning with white spirits will reduce its hiding-power.
- Spreading rate will vary with porosity and type of substrate: for uncoated new work 1 litre will cover about 7-9 sq metres; for subsequent coats and when applied to sealed or previously painted substrates, 1 litre will cover 9-11 sq metres.
- Clean application equipment with white spirits.
Colour Range and Quantities
- Available in white and pale grey only, but white can be tinted to pastel colours
- 500ml; 1 / 5 / 20 litres
- This product contains no toxic substances but is flammable.
- Use only in well-ventilated areas; do not eat, drink or smoke while using the product.
- Its flash point is 37˚c.
, Plaster Primer
, Steel Primer
, Surface Preparation
, White Spirits