Office SharePoint Server 2007 is a new server program that is part of the 2007 Microsoft Office system. Your organization can use Office SharePoint Server 2007 to facilitate collaboration, provide content management features, implement business processes, and supply access to information that is essential to organizational goals and processes.
You can quickly create SharePoint sites that support specific content publishing, content management, records management, or business intelligence needs. You can also conduct effective searches for people, documents, and data, participate in forms-driven business processes, and access and analyze large amounts of business data.
In addition, Office SharePoint Server 2007 is designed to work effectively with other programs, servers, and technologies in the 2007 Office release. For example, in many 2007 Office release programs, you can initiate or participate in workflows, which are the automated movements of documents or items through specific sequences of actions or tasks that are related to a business process, such as the approval process for an expense report.
The following list offers examples of how specific 2007 Office release programs work with Office SharePoint Server 2007:
- Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007 Create a library of PowerPoint slides that can be shared with other users on an Office SharePoint Server 2007 site.
- Microsoft Office Access 2007 Take a SharePoint list offline and use the reporting features in Office Access 2007 to view the data and create reports while travelling. Forms and reports that use the SharePoint list are fully interactive — and Office Access 2007 can later synchronize the local list with the online list when you bring your laptop back online.
- Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 Take document libraries offline. SharePoint folders are displayed just as other Outlook folders are.
- Microsoft Office InfoPath 2007 Design browser-compatible form templates, publish them to an Office SharePoint Server 2007 site, and enable them for use in a Web browser.
- Microsoft Office Excel 2007 Save worksheets on a SharePoint site so that users can access them by using a browser. You can use these worksheets to maintain and efficiently share one central, up-to-date version, while helping to protect any proprietary information, such as financial models, that is embedded in the worksheet.
- Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer 2007 Create and customize Office SharePoint Server 2007 sites and workflows. Create your own master pages and content pages, so that your site has a consistent look and feel, or customize sites by using the latest ASP.NET technology, established Web standards such as Extensible Hypertext Markup Language (XHTML) code, and cascading style sheets.