Torsion Bar 1.0 Mechatronics Trainer
What is the Torsion Bar ?
The Torsion Bar is a prototype machine that can be used to teach the basics of mechatronics and machine control. The Torsion Bar consists of two disks which are connected by a flexible beam. The stiffness of the flexible beam is deliberately chosen very low to ensure that the anti-resonance and resonance frequencies are clearly visible (3.3 Hz and 5.1 Hz). The Torsion Bar can be operated in combination with the software packages 20-sim and 20-sim 4C.
- Amplifier : The Torsion Bar 1.0 setup is equipped with a PWM controlled H-bridge motor amplifier that allows you to control the motor speed.
- Communication : The Torsion Bar is equipped with an Ethernet connection (cross cable or network cable).
- Automatic Code Generation : From 20-sim you can generate C-code to run on the Torsion Bar.
- Command : Using 20-sim 4C you can export the generated C-code to the Torsion Bar, start running the code and stop it.
- Monitoring and Logging : In 20-sim 4C you can monitor variables during running and use logging for off-line measurements.
- Education : The Torsion Bar can be used as a practical setup in courses on mechatronics, machine dynamics and control. It is delivered with an extensive manual describing several experiments (see below) and a set of 20-sim models.
The Torsion Bar manual contains the following experiments.
- Installing & Testing : How to install the software and test if the Torsion Bar is working properly.
- Measurement : The Torsion Bar is equipped with two rotary encoders to measure the rotation of the motor and the load disk. Various examples show how to use these encoders for measurements.
- Identification : Using experiments you learn how to identify the components that contribute to the dynamic behavior of the Torsion Bar. These components can be combined into a simulation model of the Torsion Bar.
- Control : You will learn about feedback loops and run experiments to discover the basics of P, PI and PID control.
- A Windows PC with an ethernet connection.
- 20-sim 4.0 Professional or higher.
- 20-sim 4C 1.1 or higher.