After years of working on tired, improvised workbenches, we have finally splashed out on a lovely new 4m workbench, complete with numbered slats underneath the work-surface for storage. The 5mm sheet work-surface is attached with counter-sunk cap-screws, and it’s all generally lovely. Many thanks to Graeme Clayton at Wirral Engineering, who fabricated and delivered this masterpiece.
Project 328i sold
Tragically, I was forced to sell Project 328i before I considered it to be truly finished. Well, when I say forced, I did advertise it, but I somehow wasn’t expecting it actually be gone within a week of my low-key free Gumtree ad being posted…
Luckily the new owner is planning on turning it into a full track car, with solid control arm bushes, roll-cage, big brakes, etc, so I think it’s going to the right sort of home.
As for the outcome of the engine mods I did over the years, I consider them to be a resounding success. Depending on the dyno, between 15 and 22kW more than stock was achieved, with very little loss of driveability (I still towed a double decker trailer with two Formula Fords without any trouble), increased torque from 2000rpm, and vastly improved top end power.
What I had still intended doing was fitting new exhaust headers, and then carrying out a further remap. Hopefully the new owner carries this out and keeps in touch with me.
Final engine spec:
AD102 Camtech billet cams
E36 325i inlet manifold
Gas flowed head
Radius valve seats
Free flow exhaust