Financial Management for Non-Financial Managers:
LeMark Training and Development (Pty) Ltd
professional, workshop, Training And Education
4-DAY UNIVERSITY SHORT COURSE:
(NQF Level 5, 12 Credits)
THE PUBLIC FINANCE MANAGEMENT ACT
US ID 119331
25-28 February 2013
Next Dates:15-18 April2013; 26-29 July2013 and 2-5 December2013
Venue: Pretoria, CBD
The Public Finance Management Act, Act 1 of 1999 (PFMA) and Treasury Regulations (TR), require the National and Provincial government sphere departments in South Africa to align their budgets to the achievement of their strategic plans.
To achieve the aforementioned, Management in the public sector must be empowered to apply strategic planning for effective public service delivery and budget implementation. There is a need to plan, strategize, share with representatives and stakeholders measurable objectives and evaluate their mandated activities, to meet not only Government’s performance and results requirements, but also, at the same time they have to deal with a number of management reform initiatives.
The PFMA is designed to prevent wastage of public finances, and failure to comply with the prescribed regulations, could put performance and more effective public service delivery at risk. Through a risk management process, potential risks should be identified that could negatively impact on the Government’s quest for more effective, efficient, economical, equal and sustainable public service delivery. Effective internal control systems should be incorporated to manage the risks.
This four-day course is designed to assist you as a manager and senior leading public official to effectively comply with the legislation and public financial management reform initiatives in the South African public sector.
Who Should Attend?
Junior and Middle Management members as well as Supervisory and Leading Public Officials of the public policy executing institutions of South Africa’s public sector.
During this practical short course you will learn to:
• Familiar yourself with principles of sound Public Sector Financial Management.
• Identify the Roles and Responsibilities of Line Managers regarding Public Financial
• Understand the Core Components of the PFMA and Treasury Regulations (TR).
• Successfully link a departmental budget to the Strategic and Operational Planning within
the MTEF (Medium Term Expenditure Framework).
• Apply a sound public financial management process to prevent Unauthorised, Irregular and Wasteful,Expenditure.
• Identify actions required for successful integration of the Supply Chain Management Model into a government department’s management process.
• Apply effective Risk Management principles and Internal Control Systems.
• SECTION 1: PRINCIPLES OF SOUND PUBLIC SECTOR FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT
• SECTION 2: UNDERSTAND THE CORE COMPONENTS OF THE PFMA AND TREASURY REGULATIONS:
• SECTION 3: STRATEGIC AND OPERATIONAL PLANNING
• SECTION 4: SUCCESSFUL LINKING OF THE BUDGET TO THE STRATEGIC AND OPERATIONAL
PLANNING WITHIN THE MTEF
• SECTION 5: EXPENDITURE MANAGEMENT AND APPLICATION OF A SOUND PUBLIC FINANCIAL
MANAGEMENT PROCESS TO PREVENT UNAUTHORISED, IRREGULAR AND WASTEFUL
• SECTION 6: ACTIONS REQUIRED FOR SUCCESSFUL INTEGRATION OF SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT
MODEL INTO A GOVERNMENT DEPARTMENT’S MANAGEMENT PROCESS
• SECTION 7: APPLICATION OF EFFECTIVE RISK MANAGEMENT PRINCIPLES AND INTERNAL PROTOCOL SYSTEMS
NOTE: Participants are advised to bring along a basic calculator to enable them to complete some of the activities.
Minimum Entry Requirements:
National Senior Certificate (NQF Level 4)(Grade 12/Matric) is the minimum entry
requirement to register for and, if completed successfully, be certified as competent for this
University Short Courses on NQF Level 5
Additional to the above requirement, we need the following information from each learner:
1. Original certified copy of the learners Identity Document (ID);
2. Original certified copy of the Learners National Senior Certificate (NQF Level 4) (Grade 12/ Matric
3. Original certified copy of the highest academic qualification/s obtained.
4. A fully completed registration form including all the biographical information of the learner, e.g. race,
gender and physical and postal addresses.
In light of the fact that you will be furnished with the training manual prior to the commencement of the
Course, the proceedings will commence with an easy self-assessment (open-book test) to determine your
current level of knowledge and skills within your work context and experiences.
Formative assessment will be conducted throughout and especially at the end of the course on day three to
assess the extent of your learning experience.
Summative assessment will be conducted through an individual assignment which you will have to present
within 30 days after the termination of the course. The assignment will assess your ability to apply the
principles and formulae covered during the course in your workplace situation.
The attendance of the first day of class as well as a total minimum of 80% class attendance is compulsory in
order to be eligible to hand in your PoE/Assisgnment. After the successful completion of this skills programme
and the portfolio of evidence (PoE), learners will receive a certificate of competence. Alternatively learners will
receive a certificate of attendance if they do not wish to hand in a portfolio of evidence.
Re-submissions: When a learner is found Not Yet Competent, they will be given one chance to re-submit,
they will have 36 days (weekends & holidays included) to complete their PoE/Assignment. Should they not
meet this deadline or if they are found Not Competent for the second time they will have to book, pay and
attend the programme/course at their own expense.
Rate: R 6975.00 per person (Inc VAT lunch, refreshments & study material)
Venue: Pretoria, CBD
Reference Number: Please use your invoice number
HOW TO BOOK: - Complete a registration form and fax it to (012) 654 8193.
Terms, Conditions & Disclaimer:
• Admission conditions and cancellation policy applies. For full details contact LeMark Training & Development (Pty)
Ltd (LeMark) or visit our web site: www.lemark.co.za. LeMark reserves the right to postpone/reschedule or cancel
SCHEDULED skills programmes or courses should the number of bookings not justify the presentation of the event.
The liability of LeMark in the event of a skills programme, seminar or course being cancelled will be limited to a refund
of the event fees to the delegate.
• An official booking form confirmation (LeMark Complete Registration Form) must be received from the Customer
in order to reserve a place for all the LeMark Scheduled Training Programmes.
• Prior to the receipt, acceptance and acknowledgement by LeMark of your confirmation/ booking (registration
form/s), you will not be deemed as booked. (Please refer to Booking Procedure and Confirmation Instructions).
• It is the responsibility of the Customer to enquire should they not receive a confirmation from LeMark after they
have submitted a registration form or payment for training.
• We reserve the right to change the venue and the order of the presentation or if absolutely necessary to
substitute a facilitator or presenter.
• LeMark is ACCREDITED by the SERVICES SETA as an institution delivering quality education and training Provider.
Entity Number: (0149)2010/002646/02 (was2001/025985/23).
• Price and availability subject to change without notice, although we try to assure accuracy, LeMark cannot be responsible for
typographical or photo error on our web site, electronic and printed material.
, Training And Education
, university short course