KATS Network | Services
Network services, Assistive Technology, Augmentative Communication
“Disability Solutions through Technology”
KATS Network Services
- Various AT devices are demonstrated and basic information on the features is provided
- Consumers can try out equipment through this hands-on approach
- Consumers identify their needs and ATRC staff demonstrate the various devices with features and functions that can help meet those needs
- Information is provided about State and local vendors, providers and repair services
- Helps individuals try out equipment in the location they will use it: at home, work, school or recreational activities.
- “Try before you buy” approach which helps individuals and funding agencies make wiser choices.
- A wide range of assistive technology devices are available including augmentative communication (for people with limited speech), computer access, low-vision aids, assistive listening, aids for daily living, switches, environmental controls, adaptive toys and recreational devices.
- Devices can be borrowed for periods up to 30 days or longer if available.
- The ATEX is similar to a “want ad” in that individuals list items they wish to sell.
- The KATS Network and ATRC staff conduct training, develop and disseminate training materials, and provide technical assistance related to assistive technology.
- Staff respond to individual requests about the benefits of AT, device options, information on funding resources, and the use of specific devices.
- The KATS Network conducts public-awareness activities on the availability, benefit, appropriateness and cost of assistive technology for the general public and targeted groups.
- The KATS Network participates in activities such as fairs and exhibit booths.
- The KATS Network publishes a funding book, “The Buck Starts Here… A Guide to Assistive Technology Funding in Kentucky”, currently in its 11th edition (Feb, 2007). The funding book is available from the KATS website or by mail as requested.
- The KATS Network currently offers 12 Fact Sheets on various topics related to Assistive Technology, such as “A Guide to Adaptive Toys in KY”, “Choosing Appropriate Assistive Technology”, and “AT in the Classroom”. These fact sheets are available on the KATS Network website or by mail as requested.
KATS Network Coordinating Center
Charles McDowell Center
8412 Westport Road
Louisville, KY 40242
Local: (502) 429-4484
Toll Free: (800) 327-5287
Fax: (502) 429-7114
, Augmentative Communication
, Network services