WARNING: DON’T TRY THIS AT WORK!
And warn your spouses that they won’t see you for a few days
Grisoft in their great wisdom have decided to constantly update the filenames of their downloads
Here is the page to download directly from avg
With the rapid changing of technology, often we install new printers etc. We uninstall the old drivers, but most times some gets left behind. This builds up and slows down your PC.
Before you check! CREATE A RESTORE POINT
Here’s how to check
Click Start > Run…
Type cmd into the Open: textbox.
Type set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 at the command prompt.
Type devmgmt.msc at the command prompt.
In Device Manager:
Click View > Show hidden devices from the menu.
All your non-existant products will sho up in light grey.
Some need to stay. eg vga, parport, serialport are all part of windows.
Some products like bitdefender antivirus create a new driver every time you boot your PC, making it incredibly slow. These normally are an 8 digit random driver in non plug and play devices.
One of the great mysteries of Microsoft is why they remove tiny programs from newer versions of their operating systems without offering any replacements.
Hyperterminal or hyperterm for short has been included in windows since windows 95. It is not used by the majority of people, but for some power users and technicians who need to use the serial port, it is invaluable. It is the only program i know that can transfer files using z-modem protocol over serial. I often need it to repair faulty mikrotik routeros boards like the RB532 that randomly loses its config. After much frustration abd looking for alternatives, hyperterm is now running on my windows 7 laptop. I now share it with you as a new years present.
Please feel free to comment on your experiences
I have often battled installing google chrome on a pc with a slow or dodgy internet connection. I normally have to take the pc back to the office and use our internet. That is until i found the offline installer. This allows you to download once and keep it on your flash drive to install. This is also useful for pc’s using google chrome on an ingternal lan that do not have access to the internet.
This fault kept me up most of last night. I finally found the solution on
A brilliant mind called Jeepee figured it out.
This is the reason that I am a google tech through and through
Anyway, to the fix!
Logon to Windows with a user account for which the issue does not occur (this may also be a different workstation).
2. Click on [Start] » Run
3. Type “Regedit” and click [OK]
4. Open the following folder:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
5. Right click the “User Shell Folders” key on the left and choose “Export”. Specify a name and location of for the export file and click [Save].
6. Close the registry editor
7. Logon to Windows with the user account that experiences this issue
8. Double click on the exported registry key you created in step 5.
9. Click [Yes] when asked if you are sure to add the information, then click [OK] for the “successfully imported” message.
Registry keys that should exist in the “User Shell Folders” key.
The list below has the format “Key Name – Value Data”. The type for all keys is “Expandable String Value” (REG_EXPAND_SZ).
* AppData – %USERPROFILE%\Application Data
* Cache – %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
* Cookies – %USERPROFILE%\Cookies
* Desktop – %USERPROFILE%\Desktop
* Favorites – %USERPROFILE%\Favorites
* History – %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\History
* Local AppData – %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data
* Local Settings – %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings
* My Pictures – %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\My Pictures
* NetHood – %USERPROFILE%\NetHood
* Personal – %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\
* PrintHood – %USERPROFILE%\PrintHood
* Programs – %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs
* SendTo – %USERPROFILE%\SendTo
* Start Menu – %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu
* Startup – %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
* Templates – %USERPROFILE%\Templates
A lot of registry programs and some legitimate programs when they uninstall take more than their fair share of registry with. Registry programs generally delete all empty keys. This has kept me scratching my head more than once. Everything from not being able to install a USB modem to this outlook password problem.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don’t use registry cleaners. I have yet to find one that works without flaws.
PC overheating! Prevention is better than cure.
Did you know that just as a person working outside in the hot sun struggles to work at their peak, a cpu slows down when it overheats.
Before pentium 4, if a CPU overheated, it literally went up in smoke. Tom’s Hardware publised a series of videos showing what happens
All newer CPU’s have thermostats built in that slow the CPU down the hotter it runs, thereby reducing the temperature.
This means that your expensive gaming rig might run as slowly as an old workstation.
A regular service by qualified technicians can minimise the risk of your pc running slowly.
Home pc’s as well as those in office enviroments generally need a service once a year. Factories and labs need a service every 3 to 6 months
Prevention is better than cure. A preventative maintenance service costs considerably less than a repair after the damage is done.
It also minimizes the chances of your pc crashing when you need it most.
This is to help people who need to set up blackberry or are having problems changing their blackberry settings on their phones
First try on the phone!
You probably found this site because you didn’t get it to work
it took me 2 days for struggling to find these sites. Hopefully this information will save you some time.
Please note that these sites are for South Africa networks. Feel free to post more in the comments