Self Publishing and Book Printing made simple with DolmanScott - marketing
Publication, Mobile Phone, Book Production
Many authors enjoy the process of selling their own books and do it very well, however, in equal measure some would rather not. For these authors, Dolman Scott provides a range of book marketing services run by our specialists with particular expertise in niche and small scale marketing of books.
They do not guarantee your book will sell well – but can guarantee that it has the best possible chance of selling. This is partly because they are experienced book marketers with particular experience but also, because every author needs an enthusiastic and experienced advocate, whose enthusiasm for the work is far more convincing to a prospective stockist than that of the author.
Promotion – UK regional or mainland UK
Here are some of the key book promotion services available to Dolman Scott authors all aimed at raising awareness of your book in key sectors.
Book Publishing, Distribution and Sales
For those authors requiring extra support including sales representation, Adwords campaigns, reviews and ratings, a web site, ‘E’ book production and representation at the Frankfurt and London Book fairs.
- Book Sales representation – this service puts your title in the hands of an experienced book sales professional who will visit bookshops on your behalf by prior appointment showing your books to the key personnel responsible for buying decisions within their branch or area of interest reflecting changing retail trends we cover not just bookshops but any retail environment that sells books. From £250
- Coverage on author focussed websites i.e. Love Reading, Bookshelf and Shelfari. From £200
- Guaranteed reviews and ratings on Amazon .com and .uk and other major book review websites from £250
- Authors page on Dolman Scotts web site including buy link and reviews as well as authors biography information and background. From £200
- Web ranking and links Promotion to ensure the book and author web space is highly ranked on the main search engines. From £200
- You Tube promotion – now the most popular website in the world we create a short film featuring either an interview or documentary about or animation of your book linked to your webpage. From £400
- E-book production and distribution – for use as a promotional and revenue generating device the eBook is proving itself in almost every market as a potent way to catch the attention of people browsing for new titles while online with up to 70 % of e book downloads being translated into print purchases. It also acts a sure and welcome second source of revenue complimenting the printed version. Dolman Scott offers a complete E book production, formatting and distribution through all the major Uk and US based companies for sale on Amazon, WH Smith and available through mobile phone and library networks on both sides of the Atlantic.From £450
- Representation at The International Book Trade fairs of both Frankfurt and London for foreign rights publication. These deals can mean revenue in the form of advances from the participating publishers with royalties of 6- 10 5 paid direct top the authors .There are no further production or print cost. Participation from £200
- Celebrity endorsement – Dolman Scott can arrange sports, political or general celebrity endorsement for your book Price on application. Arrangement fee from £200
Pre publication Options
Dolman Scott authors also have access to a range of pre-publication tools to support the author.
- Reader’s report – Dolman Scott will undertake a professional readers report highlighting any stylistic or technical issues governing editing, copy-editing, and any grammatical errors, dialogue and structure. The text will be edited using the track change facility in ms-office word and highlighted text will be returned for your approval. From £300
- Proof Reading – A complete proof read will then be made making the text and layout pre publication ready. From £350
- Market research – We determine who is the potential readership for your book with exhaustive research consulting retailers and the public or where applicable potential professional users. From £150
- Book 2 Book Market Research – web based marketing survey through the Book2Book trade publishing news letter with a promotional campaign that offers books for review – to industry professionals worldwide who in turn will offer back feedback and advice. We will Monitor and collate this information which can then be used in making your book right for the retail book industry. From £600 plus books.
- Book Cover – The purpose of a book cover is to sell books, to accurately describe what’s in the book, or to tee up the reader so the book has maximum impact?
It’s the third because, if the book has maximum impact, then word of mouth is created, and word of mouth is what sells your product, not the cover.
Tactically, the cover sells the back cover, the back cover sells the flap and by then you’ve sold the book. If those steps end up selling a book that the purchaser doesn’t like, game over. So you have to be consistent all the way through and end up creating a conversation after the purchase. Books are better at creating conversations than most products – when was the last time you talked about a pool cue?
Some ways that a book cover can accomplish its mission:
- Iconic (because iconic items tend to signal ‘important’)
- Noticeable across the room – you see that lots of other people own it, thus making it
- likely that you’ll want to know why.
- Sophisticated – because this helps reinforce that the ideas inside are worthy of your time.
- Original, Clever, Funny – why bother reading a book you already know.
- Generic – reminding you of a genre or another book you liked, not generic as in boring
- Dolman Scott will interpret and design a commercial and genre specific book cover. We engage a number of designers and normally work from an initial offer of three proof designs. The cover design should be market sensitive whilst offering a striking image that works at thumbnail size on the Internet. From £250
- (Use of original illustrations by prior arrangement.)
- Typesetting the style of typesetting, fonts, margins and headings will then need to be chosen. Sample pages from a variety of sources will be made available to aid the final decision on style. Design concepts relating to the printing of the book, for example the weight and type of paper, back cover copy or text , pricing, author biography from £300
- Book data and registration Essential to successful publication is the quality of the attendant descriptions, key words and other information such as BICC categorisation. Dolman Scott prides itself on an in depth understanding of this complex part of publication. We use professional copywriters to get the best impression of your book out there from the moment someone reads about it. From £250
Book Printing for Print on Demand
Dolman Scott offers its authors arguably the best system available for printing In the UK and USA. As we print within each country book orders can be fulfilled quickly and economically. We will ensure your books are available through every book retailer online or shop both in the UK and the USA including Waterstones, Barnes and Noble and many more. We promise fast turnaround on orders and 6 monthly royalty payments.
- Printing In the UK and USA – Dolman Scott offers its authors arguably the best system available as printing within each country book orders can be fulfilled quickly and economically. We will ensure your books are available through every book retailer online or shop both in the UK and the USA including Waterstones, Barnes and Noble and many more. We promise fast turnaround on orders and 6 monthly royalty payments. Books are printed and sales orders fulfilled directly. Set up fees and proof copies for review from £500.
- Hardback or Paperback Dolman Scott offers it authors a selection of Hardback or Paperback print sizes including full colour inners and paper colours and types. If you wish to specify a particular style size or create an unusual book with textured printing or a special finish, we work with some of the best book designers in the business alongside printers who will be able to realise your book project economically. Price on application.
- Books Included – Dolman Scott makes available an unlimited amount of books for its authors at trade price plus delivery.
- Sales invoicing of all book sales will be made on behalf of the author to the trade by Dolman Scott and the monies collected and accounted [see below]
- Revenue from Sales Dolman Scott pays a 50% royalty on all income received regardless of format, we account every six months on the month end of June and January each year revenue received from each sale will vary depending on the retailer but in all cases Dolman Scott ensures the maximum income possible.
- Publishing Agreement Dolman Scott works within the framework of a signed publishing contract with each of its Authors, which is mutually agreed before commencement duration of 1 year with option to re new.
- Design and Print of promotional material including posters and flier. Prices on application.
The information in this article was current at 08 Nov 2011
, Book Production
, Mobile Phone