Data Warehousing, Data Warehouse
The Integrated Organizational Development Package for small - medium size businesses and municipalities
Research and experience in assisting small business and municipalities to improve performance and to move forward to becoming successful and thriving organisations, require the integration of the following interventions:
A current reality analyses and soul searching inquiry into the current state as compared to the desired state of the operation, focusing on all components of the system as well as internal and external factors impacting on the organization, its performance and development. For this purpose we guide the decision makers and senior management through a “towards excellence program”. This step leads to a gap analyses raising questions about what to do next.
In the case of municipalities step 1 flows into the use the linking of the integrated development plan with the budgeting program and process described inter alia but mainly in the Municipal Finance Management Act, MFMA. This is an open source web based budgeting program available to all municipalities for implementation and in respect of which we provide additional user support.
In the case of a small business, step one flows into the data warehousing and building of business intelligence phase which allows easy access to reports required for management decisions. In the case of a municipality step two above flows into this process using the data generated and processed in the budget program as parameters for warehousing and the enhancement of business intelligence. The findings from step 1 (and 2 above) help to define the Business Intelligence framework capable of transforming data into information, getting it to the right users at the right time, in the correct format, to be used for timely decision making and to be used to identify cost cutting ideas, and to uncover new business opportunities. At this step a Business Intelligence model is introduced which serves the organization as an off site analytical engine that can store and analyze information in real time, enabling quick, accurate decisions based on a common, clean view of available data. Little is required from the organization in the form of on site involvement to make the system fully operational as the data analyses is done off site by the service provider, guaranteeing the highest possible security of information and protection of sensitive date being accessed by anyone not authorized to do so. “behind the scenes subject and industry specialists analyze and compare data for reporting and decision making purposes in the format prescribed by the client organization.
The organization becomes able to generate model data from a business perspective or a good governance perspective and can now revisit the questions posed in step 1(above), this time round being able to come up with well informed answers to these vexing questions about what to do in order to attain the desired reality of being an excellent and (compliant) organization.
The above BI and organizational renewal or enhancing process is an ongoing process of evaluating business or organizational behavior changes for a period of at least twelve months. This period of 12 months, or more, is also a learning process during which decision makers and leaders develop new skills and capacity to interpret the data generated throughout the process to improve decision making and problem solving. Where additional learning experiences for staff and management are needed, this is prided as an extra service using live real life data of that organization and organization specific data as case study as well as practical work sessions forming part of the learning program.
The aims is to provide a learnership and award an accredited qualification, recognized internationally, to officials, managers and leaders who actively participate in this process for at least 12 months and who prove having acquired the required proficiency in the application of the three steps and using the It tools for the future benefit and growth of the organization which they serve.
The Business Info Problem
Did you experience one of the following problems due to data or information quality issues?
Systems Problems facing the Small and Medium Companies
- Difficult to produce reports (manual manipulation)
- Inconsistent reports, same business metrics but different numbers
- Inconsistent or conflicting reports from different reporting systems or processes.
- Dependence on IT for “ad-hoc” reports
- Inability to actively “ slice and
- Loss of important historical data
- Rerun processes due to incorrect data capturing.
- Dirty data
- Data elements in databases or master files that are empty
- Loss of reliance in reports due to inaccurate data
- Duplicating or overlapping entries in customer, product or other data files
- Loaded duplicated files to a database
- Returned mail, packages, or communications due to incorrect customer data
- Missed deadlines in closing financial books
- Revenue improperly booked or credited due to data quality inaccuracies
- Difficult to answer important business questions
- Expensive data analysis tools.
- Traditional Relational databases are not structured for effective reporting purposes.
- High salary costs for professionals such as Data Warehouse and Business
Intelligence specialists to extract and analyze data.
- Data Warehouse development is very expensive and can take up to two
- Very expensive hardware (servers).
- Management’s requirement to access fast and accurate information on a
daily basis is not met.
- The majority of Businesses are not aware of the existing technology and
still use spreadsheets to copy and paste business information.
- ACCESS TO EXPENSIVE TECHNOLOGY IS NOT AFFORDABLE FOR BUSINESSES AND
THEREFORE IS NOT CONSIDERED A PRIORITY
A decision support system which provides:
Quick, reliable answers to important business questions
- Consistent, Accessible, Flexible,
Interpretable, Reliable &Historical data … about business to decision
- Sharing of costs and expertise in the format of an
outsourced centralized and one stop data management service.
- Centralized data warehouse with existing business
models i.e. sales, customers, marketing etc. which is designed for SPEED.
- The service being offered is in the management of data
in terms of importing, analyzing, storing and reporting in a more cost
effective and business efficiency way.
- One team of BI experts i.e. chartered accountants,
economists, credit, marketing, financial and data analysts. (Industry
- Central information systems and hardware.
- No expensive analysis or reporting tools.
- Off site date storage.
- Provide reports with feedback on a daily, weekly or
monthly basis as required by individual businesses.
- No extra personnel
Successful BI Solutions help people do there
jobs rather that reporting on the data.
, Data Warehousing