The value-added division supplies finished goods both to the end-user and to retail distributors. These include flooring, decking, skirting and mouldings. The species and colour specifications are available on FULL SPECIE RANGE
All about Timber Flooring
Grade no. 1 – PRIME:
We have strict rules to limit size and number of any natural defects such as knots, streaks, sapwood, discoloration, wane, etc. These customers are looking for the clearest and most consistent look to their flooring. The average length is around 900mm and the warranty period is 25 years for the residential use.
Grade no. 2 – NATURAL:
This is for the customer who seeks the natural look of solid wood flooring. This grade allows tight filled knots as well as other naturally occurring characteristics of wood, such as streaks, mineral markings, limited worm holes, color variation and slight presence of sapwood. The average length of this product is 750mm and the warranty is 15 years for residential use.
Lengths of flooring should not be longer than 1700mm so that great stability and strength are achieved on surfaces.
Benefits of Bedson Solid Wooden Floors
Internationally, hardwood floors have become the #1choice floor covering in upmarket homes. Figures show that by installing solid wood floors when renovating or building a home, owners can expect to appreciate at least 10% on their investment in the home’s resale value. This is one of the reasons why the prestigious genuine wood flooring market has tripled in less than a decade. In South Africa, the growth is even more dramatic.
The reason for this is that genuine hardwood floors offer several benefits to the homeowner:
- They are easy to clean and maintain. Unlike many other finishes, hardwood floors are easily cleaned and do not trap pet hairs or pollen. Thanks to technology improvements, unlike the days of old, simply wiping the floor with a common household cleaner or a damp cloth will be sufficient.
- They contribute to a healthy environment. According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), indoor air quality remains one of today’s top health threats. Installed in the home, wood floors contribute to a healthy living environment, as hard-surface solid wood does not trap dust mites, hairs, pollen or other allergens. This creates better air quality for all.
- Hardwood flooring helps prevent the build-up of harmful toxins. A recent EPA study found that while pesticides accumulate on both floors and other surfaces, solid wood floors greatly reduce the accumulation of such toxins. This is particularly important for children, where sustained exposure to harmful toxins has been linked to asthma, lower IQ scores and cancer.
- Sustainable hardwoods are environmentally friendly. Unlike most other floor coverings, genuine wood flooring comes from a totally natural resource that is environmentally sustainable. Long gone are the days when timber was cut down with little thought for the long-term consequences on a nation’s forests. Today most timber is certified and harvested from forests that are carefully managed to ensure continued resources in the future. According to the U.S. Forest Service, almost twice as much hardwood timber is added every year through new growth than is harvested. Because of this, there is more standing hardwood timber today than there was 50 years ago.
- A durable flooring surface is cost-effective. Over a lifetime, solid wood floors represent the best value Rand for Rand. Unlike other products that will need to be replaced in less than ten years, hardwood floors will last the lifetime of the building. Unlike many other flooring solutions, in ten years wood floors won’t be taking up space in a landfill! And even if at some point the homeowner does wants to dispose of their hardwood floors, they are a naturally biodegradable product.
- Hardwood floors improve the structural integrity of a building. Once installed in a home they are one of the best natural insulating materials, helping to conserve energy resources and reduce heating bills in winter.
- The natural beauty and individuality that comes from unique textures, colours, patterns and styles. As a product of nature, solid wood flooring offers qualities and character like no other flooring finish. As such, they add character to any environment.
- Genuine wood floors are an appreciating asset that increase the value of a home. They make it easier and quicker to sell upmarket homes at a premium.
- Versatile, durable, easy to maintain, cost-effective, hypoallergenic and environmentally sustainable, solid wood flooring provides the definition of timeless. Having brought warmth, richness, value, drama and contrast into settings for centuries, they will never go out of style.
That said, when considering hardwood floors keep in mind that they may not work well in areas where they regularly come into contact with water, such as in bathrooms. Also consider where they are going. Light floors reflect light and make rooms appear bigger. Big rooms may look better with dark floors that create a cosy atmosphere.
Also think about how the room is used. Dark wood shows wear quicker than light woods, so it may not be a good option for a kitchen, for example. A bedroom or formal dining room may be able to better handle the dark wood. It's really all up to individual taste.
Dozens of exotic wood species are available and each floor can be individualised according to specific needs or tastes, with each wood species having its own qualities in terms of hardness, grain and colour. With genuine wood, each plank has its own unique grain. In addition, some species lend themselves to staining, while others are most beautiful in their natural tone.
COMPARE SOLID WOODEN FLOORS WITH LAMINATES
When looking at a wooden floor, immediately you have a feeling of a natural and warm look, the feeling that you want for your home. Even when you add carpets to your wooden floor you bring another dimension of colour, texture and pleasure to your interior decor. Solid wood flooring popularity keeps on growing worldwide; it works with all types of constructions, today and tomorrow. Solid wood flooring is warmer in winter and cool in summer. It keeps clean and looks new all the time!
Solid hardwood floors repay a little care with a lifetime of value. When you first glimpse a solid hardwood floor, you sense richness, warmth and natural beauty. Gradually, you get to know its distinct personality - visual harmonies, the traces of history in the forest and in your home.
Timber decking is a marvellous way to enhance the aesthetic appeal of any home, garden or building. A natural product in harmony with the environment, decking lends itself to a tremendous variety of forms and styles - all of which bring added beauty and value to any building or landscape.Decking blends with all types of gardens and building designs and can be tailored to suit all sized and budgets. Whether you would prefer a large, elevated deck, a free-standing island or a small intimate deck beyond your French or patio doors, the choice is yours.A deck can be installed at ground level or, preferably, for a true deck effect, in an elevated position - especially when it runs off the back of a house. A timber decking professional will obviously take care of the details for you - but if attempting a DIY project it is crucial to follow the manufacturer's or supplier's instructions to ensure a successful installation. (See )